At Derby Por Vida you will learn how to roller skate by training to be a roller derby skater. DPV is open to all women and men* who are looking to get some more action into their lives or are looking forward to becoming a future LA Derby Dolls team skater or skating referee.
Brand new to skating or just joined a derby league? You will start with beginning Skills for Thrills on Wednesday night*, Thursday night and/or Sunday mornings. Skills for Thrills runs on a continuous 8 week cycle of basic skills starting at form and working your way up to scrimmaging. New skaters to the program may start during the first two weeks of the session only to ensure basic skills are learned. Please see the schedule below to learn when our next session is.
Once you’ve been around for a couple sessions, or if you already have the skills, you may move up to our intermediate classe where you will work a little harder and learn roller derby game strategy on Sunday afternoon. If you plan on trying out for the league’s Fresh Meat program, you should definitely take this class.
Cost for the program is $10 per 1hr class and you MUST have your own basic medical insurance coverage to participate. We provide some gear and roller skates to borrow while you try out Derby Por Vida classes, but please bring your own wrist guards and mouth guards, or you may purchase a basic mouthguard on-site for $3. No rollerblades are allowed. All classes are located at the L.A. Derby Dolls' Doll Factory at 1910 W Temple Street, Los Angeles. Parking is available in the lot with an entrance off Westlake Avenue.
Here's how you get started:
- Please RSVP HERE 24 hours in advance if you plan to attend class if this is your first time and/or are not on the yahoo group yet.
- Bring your picture ID (such as a Driver's License or Passport) to your first session and a photocopy of your medical insurance card.
- Bring $10 to pay for the class, cash and checks only. Exact change required.
- If you purchased a group of passes via our website, please bring a printed copy of the receipt to verify purchase and exchange it for class tickets to be used when you check-in.
- Bring water and a towel.
- Wear comfortable workout clothes.
- Show up 30 mins in advance to process paperwork and locate appropriate gear for you to wear.
Please note that we may or may not have enough gear for everybody. Please arrive early if you need to borrow equipment.
Any other questions? Email Sweet Home AlaBAMM'ya
* Wednesday’s Skills for Thrills is Women’s Only. Please consult with a physician regarding your ability to participate in a high impact sport. A release of liability waiver will be required when you start your first class.
Our next 8 week session for beginners starts
Wednesday July 23-27
Wednesday 6:00pm-7:00pm Beginner Skills for Thrills
(Women's Only) with Puncherello
Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm Beginner Skills For Thrills
(Co-ed) with Shady Hawkins
Sunday 11:00am-12:00pm Beginner Skills for Thrills
(Co-ed) with Suzy Snakeyes
Sunday 12:00pm-1:00pm Intermediate Skills for Thrills
(Co-ed) with Shady Hawkins
All classes are largely on the banked track but may also take place on the flat track. Sunday classes may be moved an hour early to accommodate Junior Derby bouts.
SKILLS FOR THRILLS
Class Options: CO-ED, Female only
An 8-week skating skills class for beginners.
Week 1: Falling and Strides
Week 2: Stopping and Going (Take-Offs)
Week 3: Transitions and Jumping
Week 4: Whips, Basic Blocking Technique
Week 5: Review
Week 6: Advanced Stops
Week 7: Game Strategy and Pack Play
Week 8: Review and Introduction of scrimmage
ROLLER DERBY 101
Prerequisite: Must complete weeks 1-8 of Skills for Thrills or have instructor approval. **Currently on hold, will be back.**
Learn the rules and strategies of Banked and Flat Track Roller Derby. This class will include drills and scrimmaging on both surfaces. If your goal is to try-out for LADD's Freshmeat Program, you should skate this class when ready.